Distribution Industrial Engineer
Sumner, Distribution Center USA, Washington, United States
The Industrial Engineer position is based out of the Sumner, WA and supports the distribution operation through a variety of projects focused on enhancing speed to market via “best of class” processing methods, including the replacement of current warehouse management system, developing engineered standards for workforce incentives and recommending capital equipment installations to enhance productivity, throughput and ensuring workplace safety.
- Reports to Director of Distribution Operations.
- Responsive and courteous service to end users at all times.
- Lead the development and maintenance of an accurate and effective Work Measurement System. Ensures effective productivity measurements are established for identified functions in the distribution center through time and frequency studies conducted in the distribution center.
- Assist in the development of relevant reporting tools and key performance indicators (KPI).
- Lead the evaluation and subsequent optimization of all workflow methods for all processing functions to ensure they support “best of breed” practices.
- Lead/perform the analysis, recommendation, and implementation of enhancements to existing work methods flows and processes to increase throughput and on time performance.
- Identify and implement, with the direction of the Distribution Manager, distribution and storage process improvements that increase capacity, reduce cost and improve accuracy.
- Lead the investigation and analysis in recommending a “best of class” Warehouse Management System replacement for both US and Canada DC operations.
- Lead the analysis and cost justification on all DC capital equipment project requests, such as recommend MHE upgrades - pallet jack, forklift, order picker, reach truck, etc. into existing and expanded distribution facilities
- Lead the research of technological advances in material handling systems relative to cost-effective improvements in operating methods and procedures and support purchase recommendations
- Accountable for supporting the development of capital contracts and related budget tracking on all facilities projects to ensure the company is obtaining the most cost effective pricing.
- Implement incentive programs using engineered standards as directed by Distribution Manager.
- Develop daily manpower planning tool for various DC processes to better utilize labor.
- Interface with DC and Line management on developing opportunities and addressing workflow issues.
- Lead network analysis and design projects to support future growth and desired service levels.
- Lead implementation of US distribution expansion requirements; new sites, MHE upgrades, order fulfilment systems, automation and mechanization.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in similar or related field
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering Industrial/Mechanical
- Ability to drive projects and accept accountability for project progress and quality
- Demonstrate ability to perform analyses and identify solutions to resolve specific business needs
- Excellent team player but must also have the ability to work independently
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Comfortable with rapid growth and changing environments
- An active and healthy lifestyle is considered an asset
- Inventory control and management of goods experience is a definite asset
- Dedication to continuous improvement
- Responsible and dependable
- Proactive and solution-orientated
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- As a team leader, the ability to communicate clearly and objectively is vital to ensure an effective level of service is provided to other organizational units, and external resources.
- Strong IT skills (Microsoft office applications and outlook a must, familiarity with some software technologies as they pertain to Retail Systems, and or Warehouse Management Systems).
- Thorough knowledge at order fulfilment systems and warehouse slotting techniques.
- The position requires responsive problem solving skills.
- This position requires minimum of a forty hour work week.
- There will be occasional after hour requirements for events such as warehouse sales, store openings, physical inventory counts, etc.