We all made a big fuss over Kate's and William's royal nuptials. Your mom's kind of a big deal too, so treat her like royalty. For all the meals she's cooked, all the eggy chins she's wiped, why not put a little extra effort into mom's brunch this mother's day? After all, it's the most important meal of the weekend.
tips for a tasty brunch
hollandaise sauce recipe
Eggs Benedict (benny to his friends) with Hollandaise sauce really captures the regal extravagance of a weekend breakfast. Hollandaise gets an unfair rap as being temperamental and, frankly, not worth the effort. If you're willing to give him a second chance, this quick and dirty version of the classic is as easy as it is delicious.
- 3 egg yolks (save the whites for a pavlova)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
1. Combine yolks and lemon juice in a blender.
2. Heat the butter in a pot until it starts to bubble.
3. With the blender on, add the butter slowly (if you add the butter too quickly, you'll cook the egg and you sauce will be lumpy).
4. Taste and add the salt and lemon as needed (I like a lemony sauce).
one more thing
Need more reasons to quickly make eggs benny?
- It’s easy to prepare in advance. This 'How to Poach an Egg' video offers tips for poaching eggs up to two days in advance.
- It’s easy to dress up. A little Hollandaise sauce and a sprinkle of herbs creates a real wow factor.
- It’s easy to justify. Sure, it's a little more indulgent than your usual breakfast but all that protein is great for muscle building (and great motivation to go for another run).
Do you have bigger plans to celebrate your mom? How will you make this year more memorable than last?