September was full of fun yoga initiatives that brought us all to our mats as one. From Salutation Nation to the Global Mala, we celebrated yoga month with clear minds and open hearts. Here are some of our favourite yoga apps to help keep the ‘om’ going all winter long.
mindbody yoga – free
An office favourite, the MINDBODY yoga app puts every yoga class in the surrounding area at your fingertips. This is by far the easiest way to find a class on the go, wherever you are.
- uses your GPS location to find classes near you
- outlines class, studio and instructor descriptions
- Check out MINDBODY for pilates and fitness too!
relax & rest – $0.99
Enjoy guided mediation with the Relax & Rest app. The no-fuss interface of this simple to use app allows you to customize your mediation with ease. I melted into the five-minute meditation at my desk and found it to be a great way to recharge at work.
- choose from background music or nature sounds
- choose from three different lengths of guided meditation
- also available for iPad
pocket yoga – $2.99
With its sleek and simple design, this app has everything you could want without getting too complicated. The practices are all derived from the world-renowned school of Gaia Flow Yoga.
- choose between 27 sessions varying in durations and levels
- guided sessions with voiceover and animation for visual cues
- choose between two different sun salutation sequences
- view an extensive pictorial glossary of poses with descriptions and benefits
- keep a log of practice to track progress over time
- also available: Pocket Yoga Free and Pocket Yoga HD for iPad
hatha yoga – $9.99
Probably the most extensive and highly rated app in its class, the Hatha yoga app is a great alternative when getting to a studio just isn’t an option.
- choose from a number of classes ranging from 30-to-90 minute sequences
- stop motion visuals show how to get in and out of each posture
- voice over guided instruction
- create and save custom sequences with an easy to use interface
- play music from your own iTunes library
With October before us (and dare I say, the holiday season ahead) I think it’s safe to say that people are coming out of ‘summer mode’ and things are getting busy in both our work and personal lives. Creating balance is such an important part of being healthy and these apps help us to find the time to stay well rounded. What are some of your other favourite yoga apps?
- more great yoga apps reviewed by appolicious
- check out the Blissology Project
- enjoy our gift of online yoga!