Picture this: a sizzling hot summer day, the humidity index is through the roof, and, you guessed it - time for your run! With just one step out the door you begin to melt but the sweat pouring off your brow is no match for your cool, clean water bottle full of liquid gold. As is turns out, the object of your desire couldn’t be better for you! We’re made up of about 70-percent water and even a slight deviation from our water balance can change your workout from an all-time best to an all-time worst.
We are more aware of our water requirements on hot summer days but it's equally as important to be well hydrated all day everyday. If you’re out of practice with a water drinking ritual carry a reusable water bottle around as your best defense against dehydration. Headaches, minor fatigue, cramps, muscle spasms and even hunger can be dehydration in disguise. If you begin to listen to these thirst signals beyond a parched mouth you will stay properly hydrated and feel great during your workouts!
So what’s the solution to staying hydrated? Develop a water ritual!
Every runner, whether they realize it or not, has a water ritual to prevent dehydration.
- The water addict: an obsessive water drinker in perpetual fear of dehydration.
- The sports drink junkie, who will only drink fluid if it’s flavored and contains electrolytes.
- The camel, the runner who chugs all their water in one go and trains off the reserves.
- The borrower, generally not a crowd favorite, the one who swears they’re not thirsty but after workout you find them sneaking your supply.
- The bottle princess: the one who will only drink water if it’s filtered and prepackaged.
Which one are you?
View running clothing: